We are committed to respecting internationally recognised human rights, assessing our potential human rights impacts (including through our employment practices, value chain, and the legal advice and services we render), and taking action to limit our involvement in negative human rights impacts.
Equality and inclusion
We are committed to promoting and advancing equality and inclusion in the legal community and beyond. We celebrate diversity as a moral imperative and human rights issue, and because it makes us a better law firm. We are signatories to the Equal Representation in Arbitration Pledge.
We are committed to working towards achieving fairness and justice in society. That means being aware of how the legal advice and services we provide affect society and using the law responsibly.
We are committed to taking action on climate change. We align our practices with the Law Society’s Climate Change Resolution and we are signatories to the Green Arbitration Pledge.
We have a longstanding commitment to pro bono work, which we have retained as a strategic priority at Paxus. We are engaged in several on-going pro bono projects with partner non-governmental organisations.
Team pro bono highlights
- Representing a former minister of the environment in a petition against her State before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.
- Representing 35 women in a complaint under the Optional Protocol to CEDAW against their State regarding sexual and gender-based violence in the context of armed conflict.
- Representing political asylum seekers from Sri Lanka, Colombia, El Salvador and elsewhere in the United States.
- Advising the UN Secretary General's Special Representative on Business and Human Rights on international investment law.
- Advising the African Commission on Human and People's Rights on procedural reforms to increase efficiency and eliminate backlog.
- Representing a journalist in a petition against his State before the UN Human Rights Committee.
- Advising members of an indigenous community in relation to a claim against a State before the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights'.
- Advising an NGO on the decriminalisation of homosexuality in an African jurisdiction.