We act as counsel to corporations and sovereign States in complex, high value and critical international commercial and investment arbitrations. We are experienced under all the major arbitration rules, with a wide range of industries and with a diverse set of countries. We have particular experience with disputes involving the energy and mining sectors, Latin America and Africa, and environmental, social and governance issues.
Rules and institutions
We have experience conducting arbitrations under all the major arbitration rules, including:
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
- Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- American Arbitration Association (AAA/ICDR)
We also regularly advise on the drafting and negotiation of arbitration and choice of law clauses, as well as the prevention and settlement of international arbitrations.
Team Experience Highlights
- Representing Peru in UNCITRAL arbitrations under a contract and the US-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement, relating to the purchase and operation by a US company of a metallurgical complex.
- Representing a US oil and gas major in an ICSID arbitration against Ecuador under the US-Ecuador Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- Representing Morocco in an investment treaty arbitration brought by Swedish investor at ICSID relating to an oil refinery.
- Representing Pakistan in an investment treaty arbitration brought at ICSID by a Turkish power-ship company.
- Representing two banks in their claim at ICSID against Croatia arising out of a law on conversion of loans denominated in Swiss francs into loans denominated in euros.
- Representing a Swiss energy supplier in an ICSID arbitration against Spain under the Energy Charter Treaty involving changes to the economic regime applicable to renewable energy.
- Representing the UAE in an ICSID arbitration brought by a British businessman under the UAE-UK Bilateral Investment Treaty regarding a real estate development.
- Representing a US company in an ICSID arbitration under the Netherlands-Venezuela Bilateral Investment Treaty arising out of the expropriation of glass manufacturing facilities.
- Representing depositors in Cypriot banks in an ICSID arbitration under the Cyprus-Greece and BLEU-Cyprus bilateral investment treaties.
- Representing a US pharmaceutical company in an UNCITRAL arbitration against Ecuador under the US-Ecuador bilateral investment treaty involving issues of denial of justice.
International Commercial Arbitration
- Representing a European oil and gas company in an ad hoc arbitration under the UNCITRAL rules, sited in New York, relating to a revenue sharing agreement in an LNG supply contract.
- Representing a European energy company in an ICC arbitration sited in London relating to a long-term LNG supply contract with a Middle Eastern LNG supplier.
- Representing a European telecommunications company in an ICC arbitration, sited in Geneva, and a VIAC arbitration seated in Vienna, concerning a joint venture in Eastern Europe.
- Representing a European oil and gas company in its protection of its ownership interest in a Latin American oil and gas joint venture before an ICC tribunal seated in New York.
- Representing a private equity fund in its successful assertion of put rights to exit a Far Eastern telecommunications company before an ICC tribunal seated in Hong Kong.
International Commercial Arbitration
- Representing a European oil and gas company in consolidated ad hoc arbitrations under the UNCITRAL rules, sited in New York, concerning LNG sales price revisions.
- Representing an oil and gas major in an ICC arbitration relating to an exploration project in Benin.
- Representing a Middle Eastern company in a gas price review arbitration under the ICC Rules, concerning two long-term agreements for the supply of LNG into European markets.
- Representing a multinational commodities company in an LCIA arbitration arising out of the insolvency and restructuring of its former joint venture partner.
- Representing a leading aerospace company on a significant ICC arbitration concerning the termination of a contract for the sale of freighter aircraft.
Recognised leaders in the field
We bring two decades of experience at leading global law firms to the resolution of disputes through international arbitration world-wide. We have a strong understanding of both common law and civil law, and areas outside of the law, including economics, social science and international and domestic politics. We immerse ourselves in the industries involved in our arbitrations.
Suzanne's “contentious practice encompasses investment treaty arbitration and state-to-state disputes.”
Legal 500 UK: Public International Law 2021
“An experienced international arbitration lawyer with a specialist focus on public international law.”
“She is fantastic and able to work out a way forward in any difficult situation.”
Chambers UK: Public International Law 2022